Monday, June 9, 2008

My Quest for the Ultimate Black and White Photograph.

Since trying out my new darkroom equipment, I have realized how much work I have to do to get a really good black and white photograph. I have decided to forgo printing images for a little while to really pursue getting the photo correct on the negative. I have found several people on Flickr that have been helpful. I have also found Fred Parker's site to be helpful when it comes to determining exposure. I have read books on the Zone System. I have borrowed some "old time" gear from a coworker friend, which includes a light meter and an old TLR camera. It is incredible how much I have learned in the last couple months, yet it is daunting to see how far I have to go.... Just to think it all started with the purchase of some old manual lenses for my Nikon D40 (Nikon D40 6.1MP Digital SLR Camera Kit with 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor Lens). I guess there is no doubting that I am a true geek!

I guess you don't realize how difficult some things are until you try them yourself. I have to admit, I never thought the kids would be into this like they are. I get asked almost every night when I get home from work; "Can we make some prints today?!??!!??" I guess I will have to hurry up and learn to get the photo right so they can get back in the darkroom! They really like to see the image come up in the developer. They have asked me to take more photos of them so they can develop their own photo with them on it. They now stop turning away when I point the camera at them! This has been a very fun project to do with the kids and I am glad that we have all had a chance to experience it! When we get a little better at print making, we will scan one and upload it for you to see...

3 comments:

Estuary Foundation said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Estuary Foundation said...

Interesting. Growing up, I didn't picture you as a shutterbug. A peeping tom perhaps, but not a photography geek. But then, you probably didn't picture me hold a real job either.

Oh, and no replies concerning hairless items. After all, this is a family blog!

There is, however, a pool here in the office on when you will blast this comment into the ether.

Actually, it looks like you are doing some cool things. Good luck getting *the* timeless B & W photo that will set you up in a life of luxury and ease. If this whole software development company doesn't work out, perhaps I can clean your pool?

Your annoying and, unfortunately for you, computer-savvy uncle.

PS - This is the second post. Apparently, while computer-savvy, the Blackford school system failed me on basic English skills. Has to be the school system; it couldn't be that I was not paying attention, could it?

Later :-)

Unknown said...

I see you approach your bantering with caution, therefore I will go easy on you.

I do believe in being the best at what you choose to be. If I were to be a peeping tom, I would be the best peeping tom in the entire country! I would be the leader of the peeping tom underground! As for the fame and fortune that is to come, only time will tell. I may invite you to my first gallery showing so you can grovel all over my work. I will be sure to coat all of my photos with clear coat so your raging salivation will not ruin them.

As for the hairless expression, I am trying my best to avoid it. Although, I cannot make any promises. Just be happy that my kids don't refer to you as that......yet. I have chosen not to edit or censor your comments, so hopefully you will lose the office pool. Although, I have to admit, I do find them amusing.


I do agree it is the school system that has failed you as it has failed me. They did not teach English in after school sports. In fact my main forms of English came from the colorful expressions I learned from Coach Eldon Leeth at football practice! I still use many of those now twenty years later. I have several editors out there on the interweb that cover my stupidity.

Don't pull a hamy or groin at your job today!